Medical Volunteers International
Medical Volunteers International e.V. is a non-profit organisation based in Hamburg, Germany, aiming to provide free and worthy medical care for refugees and vulnerable people, who cannot access other services. In currently three locations in Greece we are working in international volunteer teams of doctors, paramedics, nurses and medical students to fulfil this mission. The medical team is supported by interpreters from the refugee community.
In Athens we treat approximately 1200 patients per month, across thirteen social centre and camp locations, open 6 days per week. In Thessaloniki we treat 1600 patients per month, across two locations – the Car Park Clinic and Diavata Camp. And, on the island of Lesvos, we treat 800 patients per month, with our clinic and physiotherapy centres working 5 days per week.
- To be a link between the population without access to healthcare and the National Health Care / NGO clinics.
- To provide medical assistance and first aid for free, and to provide diagnosis and treatment of basic conditions for those who can’t access other services.
- To provide medicines and medical supplies for those people having being prescribed but who can’t afford them.
To provide free and worthy medical care for refugees and vulnerable people who cannot access other services.
- We believe in the right for everyone to seek a worthy life for him/herself and their family.
- We believe in the universal quality right to health, for everyone (local or migrant), with dignity.
- We advocate for our values and vision.
We’re looking for experienced medical professionals, nurses, or medical students who are passionate about using their skills to make a difference for refugees and other displaced people. We are currently working across three locations in Greece – Athens, Lesvos and Thessaloniki. We visit refugee camps, abandoned houses, squats, forests and parks, wherever people are seeking help and shelter can be found.
Each team is managed by an on-site coordinator. In each of our locations, we look to resource teams with a minimum of: 2 doctors, 2 nurses, 2 medical students (additional paramedics in Thessaloniki, paediatric doctors and nurses and midwifes in Athens and a physiotherapist and massage team on Lesvos).
Once on-site, our local coordinators are there to support you whenever needed. Teams work closely together, communicating via WhatsApp groups, to provide the best possible care for our patients, but also to support each other and ensure that their volunteer experience is the best it can be.
We have volunteer accommodations in all locations. We ask for a small contribution to the rent for the first month you stay with us. Long term volunteers stay free of charge after the first 30 nights. All transports within the daily work, such as the journey to the clinic or the storage space, is provided by us.
- Flights – Volunteer
- Accommodation – Volunteer
- Food – Volunteer
- Transport-In-Country – Volunteer
- Visa – Volunteer
- Travel Insurance – Volunteer
- Medical Indemnity – Volunteer
Minimum 2 weeks
Must be fully licensed in volunteer’s home country
English (translators available)
+49 172 4508736 (Germany)